Wednesday, October 17, 2007

WIKI

This week we learned how to make and contribute to wikis. Inspight of my rampant computer phobia, I actually enjoyed this assignment. The only thing I don't really like about wikis is that since the technology and the way you create the wiki is really fussy, you could really mess up someones page even if you weren't meaning to; Never mind if you actually wanted to. I guess its redeeming that they have the page where you can see all the different times the site's been edited. That way, if someone messes something up, you can easily go back to an older setting.
I think that when you're making a wiki if they made the buttons and stuff function like microsoft word it would be a lot easier to use... I'm not saying they would need to have all the options that word does, but just if it worked a similar way. All the tables and the pictures on my website got confusing. I would accidentally delete them while trying to do something else.
I could definitely see it being really useful though in the classroom setting. I think its a great idea.

THE PERSONAL WEBPAGE IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY. I HATE IT.
I can see how it could be useful, and I don't doubt that it would be a good idea to have one, but it is so complicated. And the kicker is, my dad owns his own company and when he heard I was taking a computer literacy class, offered to pay me to make him a website. There is NO FREAKIN WAY thats going to happen. I've never been this flustered with trying something on the computer. I'm not good with them, but I can usually get around, its like French to me. I can usually muddle through a conversation and I can find out where the bathroom is, but this is like being dropped off in a French university in a 4000 level course and being expected to handle all the information.

Wish me luck. Today I'm trying to figure this webpage stuff.

No comments: